CAT has a full calendar of events, which is distributed to members in the form of a ‘meets list’.
Meets range from evening meets during the warmer / lighter months to full weekend away trips in different parts of the country.
CASTLE CRAG BORROWDALE 9:30 am
SWALEDALE MINES WEEKEND 10:00 am
SWALEDALE MINES WEEKEND @ Swaledale
Jul 22 @ 10:00 am – Jul 23 @ 4:00 pm
A weekend of exploring some fascinating mines in this most beautiful Yorkshire Dale. Grade of meet will vary depending on routes chosen, but likely to be Difficult and possibly Difficult/SRT. Please contact Meet Leader[...]
To participate in a meet, you will need to become a member of CATMHS (of the appropriate class depending if the meet is underground). Please navigate to the membership page for information on becoming a member.
Meet grading system
Meets are graded according to the following system:
- E – Easy, level walking, scrambling.
- D – Difficult, abseil or ladder pitches and awkward ground. Suffixed SRT if prussiking will be required.
- S – Severe, long or awkward SRT pitches, unstable or serious ground. Full SRT competence required.
- EXP – Exploratory, these meets are intended to push into unknown ground and long and difficult abseiling and prussiking pitches may be expected. Rope traverses, pendules and deep water may be encountered. For the safety of the party participants must be fully SRT competent, and able to exercise their own judgement in difficult circumstances.
- Note – mine exploration is a high-risk sport and it is not possible to reduce all risks to a low level. CAT seek to support exploration in a safe manner while recognising that significant risks will remain and the safety of the activity will ultimately depend on the ability of the group and participants to take sensible actions to ensure exploration is conducted with a reasonable margin of safety.