ALL CATMHS FIELD MEETS POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
CATMHS currently has a full calendar of online events, which are LISTED ON THIS WEBSITE and distributed to members via Facebook.
In “normal” times Field Meets are arranged at sites of mining history. These include evening meets during the warmer / lighter months, local day meets all year and some full weekend away trips in different parts of the country.
To participate in an online event or field meet, you will need to become a member of CATMHS (of the appropriate class depending if the meet is underground). Please navigate to the membership page for information on becoming a member.
Meet grading system
Meets are graded according to the following system:
- E – Easy, level walking, scrambling.
- D – Difficult, abseil or ladder pitches and awkward ground. Suffixed SRT if prussiking will be required.
- S – Severe, long or awkward SRT pitches, unstable or serious ground. Full SRT competence required.
- EXP – Exploratory, these meets are intended to push into unknown ground and long and difficult abseiling and prussiking pitches may be expected. Rope traverses, pendules and deep water may be encountered. For the safety of the party participants must be fully SRT competent, and able to exercise their own judgement in difficult circumstances.
- Note – mine exploration is a high-risk sport and it is not possible to reduce all risks to a low level. CAT seek to support exploration in a safe manner while recognising that significant risks will remain and the safety of the activity will ultimately depend on the ability of the group and participants to take sensible actions to ensure exploration is conducted with a reasonable margin of safety.
- Note – everyone participates in a meet at their own risk.