CATMHS Member Field Meets are now planned for much of 2024. Please check the Event listings on this website for details and use the booking system to reserve a place.
CATMHS also runs occasional online talks, which are also listed on this website. To obtain the Zoom Link needed to join the Talks, please go to the members only On Line Meets page, or email Mark Hatton on email@example.com or phone him on 07774 499589.
Field Meets are arranged at sites of mining history. These include evening meets during the warmer / lighter months, local day meets all year and some full weekend away trips in different parts of the country.
To participate in events & field meet, you will need to become a member of CATMHS (and join the BCA “Caving” member class). Please navigate to the membership page for information on becoming a member.
Meet grading system
Meets are graded according to the following system:
- E – Easy, level walking, scrambling.
- D – Difficult, abseil or ladder pitches and awkward ground. Suffixed SRT if prussiking will be required.
- S – Severe, long or awkward SRT pitches, unstable or serious ground. Full SRT competence required.
- EXP – Exploratory, these meets are intended to push into unknown ground and long and difficult abseiling and prussiking pitches may be expected. Rope traverses, pendules and deep water may be encountered. For the safety of the party participants must be fully SRT competent, and able to exercise their own judgement in difficult circumstances.
- Online – Computer wizardry & Zoom skills essential.
- Note – mine exploration is a high-risk sport and it is not possible to reduce all risks to a low level. CAT seek to support exploration in a safe manner while recognising that significant risks will remain and the safety of the activity will ultimately depend on the ability of the group and participants to take sensible actions to ensure exploration is conducted with a reasonable margin of safety.
- Important Note – everyone participates in a meet at their own risk. Our Disclaimer wording is as follows :
RELEASE OF CLAIMS : I agree & acknowledge that I am participating in this CATMHS Meet of my own accord. I give this acknowledgement freely and knowingly and I represent and warrant that I am physically and mentally fit and that as a result, I am able to participate, and I do hereby assume responsibility for my own well-being.
I am fully aware that possible physical injury might occur to me as a result of my participation and I agree to assume the full risk, including risk which is not specifically foreseeable, of any injuries, including death, damages or loss, regardless of severity, which I may sustain as a result of participating in any and all activities connected with this Meet.
In consideration of the right to participate in the Meet, I hereby waive any and all rights or claims I may have as a result of participation in the Meet against CATMHS and the Meet Leader(s), CATMHS Officers, CATMHS Members and all individuals assisting in conducting these activities and I hereby fully release and discharge them from any and all claims resulting from injuries, including death, damages or loss, which may accrue to me or my heirs arising out of or in any way connected with my participation in the Meet.
I further agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless CATMHS and the Meet Leader(s), CATMHS Officers, CATMHS Members and all individuals assisting in conducting these activities from any and all claims resulting from injuries, including death, damages or loss which may accrue to me or my heirs arising out of or in any way connected with my participation in the Meet.
NOTE: All participants must be 18 years old or older. Any participant wishing to leave the Meet early must notify the Meet Leader(s). All participants are responsible for providing their own personal equipment and satisfying themselves that that and any shared use equipment (such as ropes or rigging) is all fit for purpose. All participants must ensure that they are covered by the BCA 3rd Party Insurance Scheme. Participants should notify the Meet Leader(s) of any medical conditions relevant to the Meet activities and conditions. All participants agree to act responsibly and in accordance with the Meet Leader(s) instructions and acknowledge that the Meet Leader(s) have absolute authority regarding decisions as to who can or cannot participate in the Meet. By signing below you agree & acknowledge all of the above.